Friday, February 25, 2011

Treasure Hunt & Interleukin 2

My cancer has moved into stage IV Melanoma, as I've developed a new leg tumor and nodes on my lungs. In comparison to the tomato in my inner thigh that's already been extracted (and I hope, juiced!) they are all relatively small. I was told that surgery isn't the best choice at the moment, and that Interleukin 2 is the road to take. I'm the tiniest bit relieved since I've already had 4 surgeries since December and I've grown tired of being under the knife.

Today I had a heart stress test, and a brain MRI. These are needed to make sure I'll be able to endure the harshness of the Interleukin 2.  Monday I'll have a pulmonary function test and see my oncologist, who I'm hoping will let me know if I'm strong enough to do the drug at that time. If I pass all the test, I'm guessing I'll be admitted to the ICU either this Tuesday or Monday, March 7th.

The drug is administered through a port every 8 hours for 5 days (monitored at all times in ICU) - then I rest at home for 9 days - then I'm back for another 5 days, and I hear it's a bit harder the second time around. If I'm a full receptor to the drug, the cancer shrinks away and in some cases a person can go into remission for over 10 years. I want that!

So this weekend I'm doing a bit of a Treasure Hunt. I'll be looking for things to combat the drugs side effects.

I'm doing pretty well, so far I've got:

Manuka Honey from Tea Trees in New Zealand - good for nausea and dry Mouth. 

Marmite for its vitamin B, riboflavin and niacin - thank god I love it! And saltines!

Healing cream made from Manuka Honey, for when my skin cracks, as well as Vaseline - for cracked eye lids. 


Heating Pad - for chill and the rigors (I'm not looking forward to this)

Anything to make it all go by easier.

When I go in for the treatment I'm going to be asking everyone I know to help me visualize the Interleukin 2 working to shrink the cancer until it's all gone. I think that all that positive visualization will really help. I have to be one of the 16% that are full positive receptors of this drug. I have to be a full positive receptor. I will be a full positive receptor!   


Thank you all for being there for me.

2 comments:

  1. Hello all,

    Interleukin-2 is an interleukin, a type of cytokine immune system signalling molecule, which is a leukocytotrophic hormone that is instrumental in the body's natural response to microbial infection and in discriminating between foreign and self. Thanks a lot!

    Toll-like Receptors

    ReplyDelete